A list of public domain "classics" ?

pats, pans, and queries

A list of public domain "classics" ?

Postby Calenth on Monday, 06 April 2009, 1:40 pm

Thanks for this site -- I'm always on the look for fantasy recommendations and I've appreciated a lot of your pointers (not that I always agree with your reviews, but still, very helpful).

One thing though -- I noticed you had a section of lists, where you recommended, for example, religiously themed SF, etc.

What about public domain, high quality works? Things available for free from Gutenberg, etc. ? A lot of Dunsany's work is public domain now, as is The Night Land, H.G. Wells, etc., and a one-stop reference on publicly available, high quality sf/F would be very helpful. Just a thought, and thanks for the site!
Calenth

Re: A list of public domain "classics" ?

Postby owlcroft on Monday, 06 April 2009, 7:21 pm

What about public domain, high quality works? Things available for free from Gutenberg, etc. ?

It's tucked away on the "miscellaneous" page (properly titled obiter dicta), at the heading Free Read Free! (with an obvious nod to Gene Wolfe there).

I used to actually list individual works, but the list got so long and so hard to maintain that I now simply point people at the chief online sources of free public-domain works, of which sources there are a good half dozen.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Postby DalekKitten on Sunday, 27 November 2011, 7:46 pm

owlcroft wrote:What about public domain, high quality works? Things available for free from Gutenberg, etc. ?

It's tucked away on the "miscellaneous" page (properly titled obiter dicta), at the heading Free Read Free! (with an obvious nod to Gene Wolfe there).

I used to actually list individual works, but the list got so long and so hard to maintain that I now simply point people at the chief online sources of free public-domain works, of which sources there are a good half dozen.

I apologize for the later than normal response, but I wanted to thank you graciously for the link to the public domain literature. While I'm perfectly willing to pay for a good read, sometimes the best things in life are free...and by free, I mean they're old classics. Old doesn't necessarily mean good, but hey, Moby Dick is public domain and it's one of the best works ever written. Either way, I digress. This list is fantastic! I feel like copyright laws have kept people from enjoying great things. Of course, it's not the laws that are unfair. . . it's the people who felt the need to plagiarize and copy materials' fault. Those people made these laws a requirement. Oh well. . . At least the intellectual property attorney has job security! Ha ha! :D

Either way, thanks for the list. I'm glad these books are still getting the recognition they deserve! :D
Dalek Kitten
DalekKitten

Postby broken850 on Saturday, 29 September 2012, 1:15 am

As far as I know fiction deals with human relations as governed by the known laws of the universe. Science fiction usually deals with human relations when some of the known laws of the universe have been 'altered' or superseded by advances in science.
Khasstores.com
broken850

Return to About This Site