Steroids and Baseball.

pats, pans, and queries

Steroids and Baseball.

Postby Dudley Dawson on Thursday, 05 February 2009, 11:28 pm

I just finished reading the article about Steroids and Baseball. It's a very compelling argument that you make, and I appreciate the amount of detail you've put into the article. It was a very interesting read.

To chime in with my own two cents -- which really only touches upon one small part of the article -- I wanted to mention the point you make about people criticizing drug use in athletes because of their "role-model" status.

I'm not a sports fan, myself -- I never have been; But I've always found it curious that people attack those in the sporting industry for drug use. The sports world --and entertainment in general, for that matter-- is festooned with bad examples. Perhaps rather than criticising sports figures for what really amounts to a matter of personal preference --it is their body, after all -- people could better spend that time teaching children about proper role-models or, better yet, working to set a good example for their children themselves, thereby becoming the role-models that they feel their children need.

Anyway, I realize this is not necessarily in the spirit of the article, but it came to mind as I read - for what it's worth. Also, of course, this rant gives me another excuse to tell you how great the site is - which it is - and to keep up the good work - which I'm sure you will.

Thanks
Dudley Dawson

Re: Steroids and Baseball.

Postby owlcroft on Thursday, 19 February 2009, 9:35 am

I've always found it curious that people attack those in the sporting industry for drug use. The sports world --and entertainment in general, for that matter-- is festooned with bad examples. Perhaps rather than criticising sports figures for what really amounts to a matter of personal preference --it is their body, after all -- people could better spend that time teaching children about proper role-models or, better yet, working to set a good example for their children themselves, thereby becoming the role-models that they feel their children need.

Oh, but being sanctimonious is the real American Pastime. It's so much easier to pop another oil can and mouth off than it is to actually look things up and think about them, much less act like a mensch. Argh, let me not get started . . . .

Anyway, thank you for the kind thoughts.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Return to About This Site