Old book help

just keep it clean and non-commercial

Old book help

Postby ronnif on Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 12:13 am

Looking for an old book I read YEARS ago - don't remember title or author (I know, I'm a pain - but I was a teen at the time). Only thing I can remember is it was about a colony on another planet, that had different "lands", and people had to go through what they called the "flux" to get to another land. The "flux" was a place where thoughts could become real for some, and only certain people could navigate it, making them sought after as guides/trackers. Men could become women, you could suddenly find yourself with the head of a donkey, weird stuff like that could happen. I remember a character who started as a women, was turned into a man & fathered a child, then in another of the "lands" was turned BACK into a woman, only her mind was altered so she would LOVE being a housewife/mother/lover, and lived to make her mate happy. Very strange tale - but the end of the story was that this world was an experiment in creating a world, something went wrong & the computer that was in charge stopped getting orders - hence the "flux" areas between continents...until someone with the right chemistry came along & was able to connect with it for short periods (which is why some could "navigate" and alter reality a bit. Generations later, nobody knew what was what, just trying to survive.

Anybody out there know the book or author? Or was I dreaming? (Perhaps I should write it myself.....?) ;p
ronnif

Re: Old book help

Postby owlcroft on Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 1:22 pm

Sorry, not known to me. I hope someone else can identify it. Anyone?
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Postby DavidTate on Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 11:18 pm

Some of the plot features you cite (gender changes, body modification, isolated world regions, computer control of the whole thing) sound a lot like the works of Jack L. Chalker.

That's not exactly a good thing.

Here's Chalker's entry at the ISFDB: do any of these ring a bell?

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Jack%20L.%20Chalker
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Postby DavidTate on Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 11:25 pm

Hmm. Specifically, could it be:

The Soul Rider series

* Spirits of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1984 (ISBN 0-8125-3320-8)
* Empires of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1984 (ISBN 0-8125-3329-1)
* Masters of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, January, 1985 (ISBN 0-8125-3281-3)
* The Birth of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1985 (ISBN 0-8125-2292-3)
* Children of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, September, 1986 (ISBN 0-8125-2340-7)

?
David Tate
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Postby ronnif on Saturday, 18 September 2010, 5:26 am

Yup, that's it - The Soul Rider series. Thanks for your help, this one was driving me nuts. Beginning to think I dreamed the whole thing....which would have been scary indeed!
ronnif

Postby DavidTate on Saturday, 18 September 2010, 11:40 pm

ronnif wrote:Yup, that's it - The Soul Rider series. Thanks for your help, this one was driving me nuts. Beginning to think I dreamed the whole thing....which would have been scary indeed!

You're welcome. I'm not sure which is scarier -- you dreaming books that you've never read, or me recognizing books that I've never read.

These books sound enough like the "Well of Souls" series for me to give them a wide berth. I wish I'd known to do that from the start...
David Tate
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Return to Everything Else