Baseball Quackademics?

just keep it clean and non-commercial

Baseball Quackademics?

Postby DavidTate on Wednesday, 24 September 2008, 2:15 pm

The Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports has recently published a paper entitled "Did Steroid Use Enhance the Performance of the Mitchell Batters? The Effect of Alleged Performance Enhancing Drug Use on Offensive Performance from 1995 to 2007" (http://www.bepress.com/jqas/vol4/iss3/4/). The authors are three professors of Public Health at Emory University.

If I'm understanding their methodology correctly from the abstract, they did not in fact use any control group for the study, but instead looked only at players named in the Mitchell Report, comparing their "tainted" seasons with their "clean" seasons in an ANOVA-like framework.

I'll withhold full judgment until I can read the article, but this doesn't seem like a sound methodology to me at first glance.
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Re: Baseball Quackademics?

Postby owlcroft on Wednesday, 24 September 2008, 7:42 pm

Since you've probably seen my Steroids, Other "Drugs", and Baseball site, you will know my firm and strongly held opinions on the subject. As I also point out somewhere there, fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I no longer even read tripe like the cited article. As Professor Arthur DeVany points out, most or all of these folk have an understanding of statistical principles that would rattle in a thimble (only he doesn't put it quite as politely as that).
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Re: Baseball Quackademics?

Postby mayya on Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 5:47 am

egana Press is pleased to announce the release of 'Lost Tales Volume II' featuring a recently discovered story and illustration by Lord Dunsany provided by the estate, in a limited collector's edition. Available in hardbound and chapbook versions, both are handprinted and bound. There are only 92 copies

Return to Everything Else