Walter Jon Williams

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Walter Jon Williams

Postby DavidTate on Tuesday, 23 September 2008, 11:38 pm

On the "candidates" (or "other works by rated authors") page, you say of Walter Jon Williams
Some writers are just much better at humor than solemnity, and I suspect Williams may be one, but his other works deserve their turn.

Having read the Drake Maijstral novels, I can see why you might say that -- but I very strongly recommend Metropolitan and its sequel, City on Fire. Given a choice between a new Maijstral book and a third (concluding?) volume in the Metropolitan sequence, I would much prefer the latter.

Mr. Williams once informed me by email that he would be more than willing to oblige, if commercial issues regarding rights to the first two volumes could be resolved. He might even have been considering using the "Storyteller's Bowl" method of online reader subscription funding that has recently been used successfully by Lawrence Watt-Evans, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, and a couple of other sf authors.
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Re: Walter Jon Williams

Postby owlcroft on Wednesday, 24 September 2008, 5:29 am

I know I've read something serious by Williams--Angel Station?-- and maybe more than one, and thought it, or they, were (as best I can recall now) a zero or -1. Granted, the past is a foreign land and only strangers live there, but at least it puts his other works a little lower on the triage list than some of the stuff up ahead of it.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Return to Author Suggestions