Ellen Kushner

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Ellen Kushner

Postby DavidTate on Tuesday, 23 September 2008, 11:54 pm

Are you familiar with Ellen Kushner's work? I'm thinking specifically of the novel Swordspoint (which I suppose might be considered merely Ruritanian, as opposed to fantasy) and the novel Thomas the Rhymer, based on the traditional ballad.
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Re: Ellen Kushner

Postby owlcroft on Wednesday, 24 September 2008, 5:42 am

I read Swordspoint donkey's ears ago. "Ruritanian" pins it quite neatly. In general, I don't deal here with pure[1] alternate history, the third class of speculative fiction (I just can't bring myself to include horror under the umbrella, Randy Money's admittedly eloquent pleadings notwithstanding), though I suppose I'm thus being hypocritical by allowing Islandia.

Swordspoint seemed to me then a decent enough book, but nothing like so overwhelming as to break a rule for it--a +1 at best, maybe a zero. Islandia, I must say, strikes me as a rather towering book, so I cheated a bit on categorical definition.[2]

(Well, one could also argue over some of Keith Roberts[3], but that's even farther off point.)

[1] "Pure" in the sense that the world presented is utterly mundane, just possessed of a different history, which may be ours gone off at an angle somewhere, or a wholly invented one.

[2] Though, as I make the case elsewhere, the social and moral systems evolved there are so strikingly different from our own as to arguably remove Islandia from the "utterly mundane" category.

[3] There is, as you doubtless know, also a counter-case to be made there, but even to discuss it is a major spoiler.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Return to Author Suggestions