Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /usr/home/owlcroft/public_html/greatsfandf/forums/common.php on line 106
Great Science-Fiction & Fantasy Works • View topic - Robin Hobb

Robin Hobb

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Robin Hobb

Postby rfjeff9 on Monday, 19 July 2010, 11:00 pm

Has anyone read The Farseer trilogy or The Tawny Man trilogy? I have to admit that I highly recommend this author based solely on these two series, although I read one other that while not as good a story IMO, still rates well (to me) as an overall work.

Not to spoil, I will just say the main character in these two series is certainly my favorite character out of all the books I have read. The tragic hero. I have never read about a more well rounded and defined personality, so my recommendation to your list is Robin Hobb.
rfjeff9

Re: Robin Hobb

Postby owlcroft on Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 6:16 pm

"Robin Hobb" is a pen name of Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden, who has also written extensively as Megan Lindholm. Under the latter name she wrote Wizard of the Pigeons, which I consider a very good book; I have long wanted to read more Megan Lindholm, but have somehow never gotten round to it. As Lindholm, her work is, I gather, mostly contemporary "urban" fantasy; as Hobb, it is more "epic".

I have only read occasional small bits of her Hobb work, but it seemed to me less original and powerful than her work in Wizard. Authors usually use differing pen names for differing basic approaches to writing (as with Gael Baudino and "G. A. Kathryns"). My impressions--which, as you see, are based on sketchy, incomplete samples--is that "Lindholm" was for more "literary" work and "Hobb" for more "commercial" work (but I do not mean by that that the "Hobb" work is unsatisfactory--just perhaps less original). As Hobb, she certainly has a dedicated following.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Return to Author Suggestions