Mark Hockley

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Mark Hockley

Postby MarkJH on Saturday, 29 November 2008, 6:44 am

Not sure if I'm allowed to suggest myself. But my novel The Magic Lands may be of interest. I've had some very encouraging reviews, particularly at Amazon, so someone must be reading the book! if anyone here has read it, I would be happy to talk about the story.
MarkJH

Re: Mark Hockley

Postby owlcroft on Saturday, 29 November 2008, 6:18 pm

I don't have a rigid policy on such matters.

I suppose I ought to formulate one, but a) I dislike rigidity in policies, and b) I find the purer-than-the-driven-snow policies on many boards to be annoying at best, and more like stupid.

So, I guess I 'll be playing it by ear on suitability. In this case, in the light of the modesty of the posting and the apparent plausibility of the work itself (by which I mean it's not obviously a howler), I reckon it's fine. If any who have read the book care to comment here, they are welcome.

The reviews look nice. I myself put little stock in such things, considering how many people drool over, say, David Eddings or Robert Jordan, but, as the old saying goes, it sure beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Postby MarkJH on Sunday, 30 November 2008, 12:48 pm

Thanks for your generosity. And I completely agree about the sharp stick!
MarkJH

Postby MarkJH on Sunday, 07 December 2008, 6:19 am

Hope you don't mind me sharing this new review from Amazon :)

'This book is the story of two fourteen year old boys who find themselves transported into a realm of magic and nightmare.
Reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, the story quickly turns into a dark tale of nightmare, lust and cruelty as the two boys find themselves locked in a contest against the ultimate evil, with the stakes being not only their lives, but their souls as well.
Joining Tom Lewis and Jack Barton as they journey through the contantly changing dreamscape of The Magic Lands is like sitting down with Alice In Wonderland and Rob Zombie to drop some acid.
Loaded with iconic imagery, The Magic Lands is a tour de force into a surreal realm dominated by evil and insidious temptation.'
MarkJH

Postby owlcroft on Monday, 08 December 2008, 3:41 am

I'll let it stand, but I daresay it's enough. Those interested would have followed up from the original article.
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Postby DavidTate on Monday, 08 December 2008, 6:21 pm

The flagrant self-promotion would sit better coming from someone who was actually participating in (or even, gasp, initiating) discussions of the authors discussed at the site. Drive-by marketing is annoying, unless you're talking about Burma Shave.
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Return to Author Suggestions