Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /usr/home/owlcroft/public_html/greatsfandf/forums/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /usr/home/owlcroft/public_html/greatsfandf/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /usr/home/owlcroft/public_html/greatsfandf/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /usr/home/owlcroft/public_html/greatsfandf/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Great Science-Fiction & Fantasy Works • View topic - Janet Kagan

Janet Kagan

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Janet Kagan

Postby DavidTate on Friday, 19 September 2008, 12:31 pm

The late Janet Kagan wrote, as best I can tell, the following:
One "Star Trek" novel, because the person willing to publish her real novel could not accept new author submissions except for Star Trek novels. I haven't read it, though it gets good reviews from the people who review such things.
One real novel, Hellspark.
One fixup novel, Mirabile
A handful of non-Mirabile short stories.

The Mirabile stories are charming fun. I haven't read any of the other stories. Hellspark is a classic -- one of those word-of-mouth treasures that never seemed to be in print. It is science fiction, but the sciences at center stage are linguistics, anthropology, and cognitive science. If it has a flaw, it is that the central premise is sometimes unsubtle, but this is more than made up for by the telling.

I would trade the complete works of many popular (and enjoyable!) sf authors for one more Kagan work.
David Tate
Professor of Story Problems, emeritus
Rationalist with sombrero
Baseballogist
DavidTate

Re: Janet Kagan

Postby owlcroft on Wednesday, 24 September 2008, 5:25 am

I feel more and more these days like Sisyphus. Every time I think I have at least listed the remaining major "possibles" candidates, up pops another to look over. I'll be doing some homework and probably, in consequence, adding her to that ever-growing list.

The same poem that speaks of "world enough, and time" observes that "At my back I always hear / Time's wing`ed chariot hurrying near". Indeed.

(How in blazes does one do accents in these forums? Hard HTML doesn't seem to work . . . .)
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster
owlcroft

Re: Janet Kagan

Postby ricky.martin4545 on Saturday, 30 October 2010, 9:17 am

owlcroft wrote:I feel more and more these days like Sisyphus. Every time I think I have at least listed the remaining major "possibles" candidates, up pops another to look over. I'll be doing some homework and probably, in consequence, adding her to that ever-growing list.

The same poem that speaks of "world enough, and time" observes that "At my back I always hear / Time's wing`ed chariot hurrying near". Indeed.

(How in blazes does one do accents in these forums? Hard HTML doesn't seem to work . . . .)

This is a great poem. It gives me inspiration when i get frustrated.
ricky.martin4545

Return to Author Suggestions