Walter M. Miller

for discussing authors not listed here, main list or "possibles"

Walter M. Miller

Postby pragnar on Friday, 13 February 2009, 9:29 pm

I recently read A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I much enjoyed. I think Walter Miller would be worth considering as an addition to the site, even if just for this book. Admittedly he hasn't produced a great volume of work, but many other authors who are not prolific have been highly rated here.

Have others read the book, or Miller's other works? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Paul Eastlund
pragnar

Re: Walter M. Miller

Postby thepaladin on Saturday, 14 February 2009, 8:48 pm

Some friends of mine and "myself" (of course) attempted to start a "novel discussion group" ( whether the groups, the books, or both were to be novel we left to the imagination). We were some disappointed as to the interest. But that aside this was one of the first books we chose to read. Interesting story and construction. I wondered about a lot of the things he included in the book. For example the myth of the "Wandering Jew". He is traditionally supposed to be John the Apostle (this comes from a Bible verse). But in A Canticle for Leibowitz, Miller chose to make him Lazarus. The chacter wandering in and out of the novellas that make up the novel. There is another novel "mostly" written by Miller before his death... Not really up to the first I've read from others, but I've never run down Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman and read it myself. There are also quite a few short stories from Miller, though i'm not sure where they can be found now.
thepaladin

Re: Walter M. Miller

Postby Jeroen on Monday, 30 March 2009, 2:47 am

I have just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz and I´ve been blown away by it. A great novel! Miller has a beautiful, cinematic like way of writing, scetching very interesting scenes. He gives his chapters the air of history, destiny. And his themes are intellectually pleasing too. Yet I think the first few chapters are perhaps a bit "overwritten". It took a few pages to get used to his style.

There is a collection of his short stories, apparently named after one of them: Dark Benediction. From Gollancz's SF Masterworks series. I haven't read it.
Jeroen

Return to Author Suggestions